My blog about my wargaming activities. I collect a lot of 15mm miniatures for the American War of Independence and so collect a lot of rules for this period. I started miniatures with Napoleonics, so I have a number of armies in 6mm and 15mm figures for skirmishing. I have15mm WW II figures that I use for Flames of War, Memoir '44, and someday, Poor Bloody Infantry. Finally there is my on-again, off-again relationship with paper soldiers that I sometimes write about.

Monday, March 15, 2010

More with Citadel Washes

I started with washing the flesh areas with Citadel washes over white, but I found recently a craft paint color called "Santa Flesh", which is a very pale flesh color. Washing over that produced a nice result (pictures to follow). I tried using a base of GW Bleached Bone, but that did not turn out all that well (well, it would for zombies), but not so horrible that I repainted the figure. I was going for an olive-skinned color.

I pretty much use Citadel washes for clothing now. Xyston makes some nice figures with good folds in the tunics and cloaks, so it is very conducive to washing. I paint a medium color, wash once, paint a highlight on the top of the folds then wash again. A good example is using the GW Foundation Red, washing with GW Red wash, highlighting with GW Blood Red, washing again wih GW Red wash. I'll try and post some pictures of that too. I just finished up some Spartan cavalry and this is the technique I used for them. I've also found using the GW Tanned Flesh, washed in GW Red, and highlighted with GW Dwarf Flesh works as a faded red - good for Spartan psiloi, hammipoi, and helots hordes. I'd still use the brighter reds for the peltasts, however.

So, washing has been working for me, better than the three-layer painting method, which I find tedious and produces starker contrasts - although that is probably the color combination that I am choosing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Blog and Forum Pages

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Huachuca City, Arizona, United States
I am 58 yrs old now. I bought a house in Huachuca City, AZ working for a software company for the last three years. To while away the hours I like to wargame -- with wooden, lead, and sometimes paper miniatures -- usually solo. Although I am a 'rules junkie', I almost always use rules of my own (I like to build upon others' ideas, but it seems like there is always something "missing" or "wrong").