My blog about my wargaming activities. I collect a lot of 15mm miniatures for the American War of Independence and so collect a lot of rules for this period. I started miniatures with Napoleonics, so I have a number of armies in 6mm and 15mm figures for skirmishing. I have15mm WW II figures that I use for Flames of War, Memoir '44, and someday, Poor Bloody Infantry. Finally there is my on-again, off-again relationship with paper soldiers that I sometimes write about.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

DBAWI Design Notes: Columns

I thought I would add some of my design notes to DBAWI so that if any of them spark discussion, they could be recorded in the comments for each particular post.

-1 if in column and being shot at, except from the flank.

The first note is regarding the use of columns. For the AWI — and for the linear warfare period in general — columns were used for maneuvering on the battlefield prior to the battle proper. Charging in column is really associated with starting in the Napoleonic period for the Horse and Musket era. Given the scale each element represents in DBAWI, one element in contact behind the other does not represent two successive lines, but rather a column.

In DBA and DBN using two element deep formations gives you the flexibility to move in column while gaining rear support (if the element type provides it). For the linear warfare period, this flexibility came with a price: units were more vulnerable to musket and artillery fire as they went deeper.

To reflect this, when shooting is being resolved, a factor of -1 is applied if the element being shot at is in column. (I am still working on the definition of "in column", but it basically means that if the element could move as a column, the factor applies.)

Another factor is that not using two-element deep formations for the battle lines looks better. See some of the pictures from my DBAWI game and see if you do not agree.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:03 PM

    Good blog!

    I've been playing DBHx with a fellow for awhile using AWI troops. We quite like limiting the number of recoils each unit can take (ranging from 1 to 4, most about 3) as this starts to differentiate the musket units some.

    We have also been using detached commanders (i.e., your general can move from unit to unit (so long as he is attached to someone); this allows the general to get into the thick of things a bit more.

    I'm not sure about whether you need an additional penalty for being in "column" It has a built in penalty (can't fire to side; only one unit firing forward, gets screwed up if contacted from the side). If a base is roughly a battalions, do you need to be worrying about line and column? I dunno.

    Please keep posting!

    Bob in Edmonton

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Blog and Forum Pages

Popular Posts

Followers

About Me

My photo
Huachuca City, Arizona, United States
I am 58 yrs old now. I bought a house in Huachuca City, AZ working for a software company for the last three years. To while away the hours I like to wargame -- with wooden, lead, and sometimes paper miniatures -- usually solo. Although I am a 'rules junkie', I almost always use rules of my own (I like to build upon others' ideas, but it seems like there is always something "missing" or "wrong").